Are you interested in having some roofing work done, but would rather do it yourself instead of hiring an expert Albany roofer? Use the following tips prioritize safety before you get started on the project at hand.
1. Notify those around you: Make a point of notifying those around that you will be conducting the roofing work. To ensure that you can get help in case of any emergency or accident, you should only work when there’s someone else around.
2. Preparation is essential: All your supplies should be prepared in advance. To minimize the need to make repeated trips up and down the ladder, which tend to be dangerous and tedious, make a comprehensive list of all the necessary supplies.
3. Consider the prevailing weather conditions: To minimize the risk of slipping off the roof surface, schedule the work on a dry warm day. Your roof might also be slippery if you schedule the work too early in the day.
4. Take things slowly: Doing things hurriedly increases the likelihood of falls and other accidents. Stay safe by doing things slower. However, if you are pressed for time, consider hiring a professional roofer.
5. A roofing seat comes in handy: When conducting tedious tasks, such as shingling, having a roofing seat in hand, a seat designed to safely rest on the roof pitch, can be a welcome option. Taking a break from standing every now and then minimizes your risk of falling off the roof as it helps prevent fatigue, tingling and cramps in the legs associated with standing for extended periods.
6. Clear the work area: Clear the surface of the roof before you start working. Slip hazards such as dirt, leaves and debris can cause a fall, and should therefore be cleared first.
7. Put on some safety gear: For maximum safety while working on the roof, use toe holds and a safety harness.
8. Safely use the ladder: Follow all manufacturer recommendations to the letter when it comes to using the ladder safely. The ladder’s stability and safety during use may be significantly compromised when these recommendations are not followed.
9. Use the right footwear: Every time you work or walk on the roof surface, be sure to wear the right shoes; these should be rubber soled, non-slip, with a reasonable tread.
10. Don’t underestimate the job at hand: When assessing the job, consider your own limits and be sensible. Be sure to call a professional, like Ultimate Roofing. if you are not sure that you can handle the work involved call us today.
Ultimate Roofing is a well-established roofing company serving Albany New York and the Greater Capital Region. We proudly offer both